Canadian Sustainable Clothing and Sustainable Fashion
Sustainable Fashion: All you Need to Know about Canadian Sustainable Clothing and Sustainable Fashion
"What you wear is how you present yourself to the world, especially today, when human contacts are so quick. Fashion is instant language." —Miuccia Prada
By choosing what you wear, you are expressing yourself even if you don’t notice it. We can all agree on the fact that we are not being friendly with our planet so if you are a nature lover and also a fashion enthusiast at the same time, you must have wondered at some point if there is an eco-friendlier way for us so we can follow all the fashion trends with causing less harm to our environment. In this article, I will give you all the information you will need to follow the sustainable fashion movement. Keep on reading to understand sustainable fashion meaning and what you need to do.
What is sustainable fashion?
Sustainable fashion is also known as eco-friendly fashion, green fashion and ethical fashion. From the terms used to describe it, it is pretty obvious that sustainable fashion definition is all the clothing that you can acquire with little or no negative impact on the environment.
Since the industrial revolution and consumerism, fashion has done some significant harm to our environment since the whole fashion industry is reliant on fossil fuels. Sustainable clothing companies do produce clothes from recycled fabrics. But of course you do not necessarily need to buy new clothes to be a part of the sustainable fashion movement. You can borrow clothes from your friends and share closets or reuse everything we already own and still be involved in the movement.
Sustainable clothing meaning and examples:
There are various different ways for a clothing item to be sustainable such as using recycled or eco-friendly fabrics and clothes such as cotton, wool and leather. Also by using environment friendly or natural dyes we can do less harm to our planet earth.
How can sustainable fashion help?
- Fashion industry is responsible for up to 10% of carbon dioxide emission. By acquiring ethical fashion strategies, we can avoid this much of co2 production and lessen the impact this industry has on the environment.
- Using natural fibers and eco-friendly clothes that will decompose in nature will help reduce the plastic litter and we can restore our planet slowly.
- By using ethical fashion, every single person involved in this industry chain will get treated better and will feel much more pleased and happy.
How to be a part of sustainable fashion?
- Well as it has been explained your first option is to buy eco-friendly clothes and accessories which are produced by many brands all over the world. If you look closely, on their tag you can see that they have an eco-friendly certification so if you’re interested, you should keep an eye on the item’s tag.
- The second way to be a part of green fashion is by buying second hand clothing. By getting second hand clothes you are using what has already been made and you won’t do any more harm to earth than it has already been done. There are several online shops especially for sustainable women’s clothing such as Nextdoorcloset that has various categories for all preferences and tastes of fashion and you will surely find an item you will love.
- Another way to be included is to share your closet with your friends and family. You can lend them your clothes and borrow the items you have always adored in their closet. This way you will have a lot more choices and you do not need to buy new stuff every time you have a date or a night out.
- Last but not least is, by getting a capsule wardrobe you can have multiple choices of outfits with fewer clothing items. This option is super easy and by a quick internet search you can get all the information you might need on assembling a capsule wardrobe.
Canadian sustainable clothing
Since the sustainable fashion movement that started with all the other environmental movements against global warming, there have been various different brands trying to produce and design eco-friendly clothing items and accessories especially in Canada. So if you live in Canada and you’re wondering the name of Some of these sustainable Canadian clothing companies, think of: 1.Tentree 2.Franc 3.Kotn 4. Norden 5. Free label
Don’t forget to check them out. But also don’t forget, in the society we live in now it's pretty hard to be living an all sustainable life. So if you are starting just now, don’t be too hard on yourself. Try not to be a perfectionist and try little by little to be more eco-friendly. You can’t get a 100% sustainable closet over one night.
So, can Fashion ever stay Sustainable?
We are harming our planet every day with our consumerism and it’s even harder on us if we are fashion enthusiasts. If you do care about the planet we live on, just try your hardest to use sustainable clothing items and accessories. Log into an online shop which sells second hand clothes or call up your friends so you can all share your closet with each other to cause less harm to our blue planet.